Monday, August 15, 2011

Shopping: Shell Cordovan

I'm going back to school in a couple of days. Therefore I decided to allow myself to purchase something that I have been wanting to buy for a very long time: half a horse butt, or more correctly shell cordovan - From the venerable Horween tannery.

Now I could go on and on about the great qualities that shell cordovan possesses, but I'll possibly do that at some other point.

Instead I'll just post a couple of pictures of the shell that I got, and the very nice piece of oil pull-up that I also bought. This was tanned in Germany, and isn't as greasy as many pull-ups are, which means I'll be able to use it for a lot of things. Oil pull-up is just an amazing leather. It will never go dry, and it takes very little maintenance - just a drop of neatsfoot oil every now and then.




And the shell does have some flaws, but I can live with that. I'll still be able to turn it into some beautifull objects (any ideas?).





Now for some oil pull-up



I buy most of my leather and tools at Læderiet. If you happen to be nearby, do take a look at their shop. Though they mostly cater to the industry, they are always very helpful, and they do have some amazing stuff sometimes. Hopefully, they'll be carrying more tools from Kyoshin Elle.
I also buy tools from Goodsjapan because they have some rather good and affordable tools, that are just slightly better than the standard Tandy solution. Besides that they are always very friendly and they speak English, which isn't always the case when shopping from Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment