Saturday, September 17, 2011

One Month of Denim - Day 17



My Internet connection is very poor and I have no time. This is of course a poor excuse for not writing some of the denim posts in advance, however I like to write in a more spontaneus way.

Hence you have to settle with another short post on denim. However I would like to remind you that there are still 13 days to go. Lastly I would like to encourage any readers out there to ask any question about denim, that you might have. I have enough subjects to write another month, and probably more, but if you have any subjects, that you want me to cover, then please let me know. No question is too small or dumb.

Today we will be covering the term "jeans". There are some speculation to etymology of the word. One of the most widely accepted explanations is that jeans is derived from the french word "genes", which was used to describe certain indigo coloured pants worn by sailors from the Italian city Genoa. As a more fun fact it must be mentioned that denim remained in use in the navy for sailors for a long time. If you dig into the history of denim and the navy, you'll discover that denim is a very versatile fabric that can be used for a multitude of different garments. As if you didn't know this already...
Speaking of which. The term "denim" is believed to have been derived from the French term "Serge de Nimes", which refers to a heavy twill or serge fabric made in the French city of Nimes.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, here's a question for you: I go to thrift stores a lot but tend to avoid the jeans section, I have trouble determining the age of a pair of Levi's for example. Can you share a few pointers on what to look for? The patch? The brand of the zipper? The rivets?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your question and thank you for participating. I'll answer your question in todays post on denim.

    ReplyDelete